News > American dimension at Enniskillen Campus

CAFRE

American dimension at Enniskillen Campus

May 20, 2024

Ashley Lowes-Cannizzaro has made Enniskillen Campus her ‘home’ for the past five months. Thanks to a Student Exchange Programme offered by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) and Michigan State University (MSU) Ashley has been experiencing life in Fermanagh with a focus on Equine Management.

“I arrived at CAFRE Enniskillen Campus in January 2024 eager to get more practical experience with equines, especially in the college’s Breeding Unit, and haven’t been disappointed. The exchange programme complements my university studies. I had the chance to study Breeding and Stud Practices, Equine Management Practices, and Horseracing Industry degree modules. I am also grateful for being given the opportunity to ride with the Equitation class on Mondays.

My experience here has been very educational not only in terms of learning about equine but also learning about myself and different cultures. I appreciated having the opportunity to see what Ireland has to offer and being able to travel over college breaks. The experience has made me a much more independent and confident individual. CAFRE staff have been exceptional at including me in the range of student activities, by taking me to horse shows, on the stud trip, and on a field trip to the Curragh. This has helped me to make the most of my experience. Whilst learning a different academic grading system was difficult at times, my lecturers were always there to give me extra help if I needed it. My time at CAFRE has provided me with exceptional experiences and I am thankful that it exceeded my expectations” concluded Ashley.

CAFRE has been running a very successful Student Exchange Programme with MSU since 1996. To date nearly 100 CAFRE degree students have spent a semester studying at MSU and a similar number of Michigan students have studied at CAFRE. Degree students at CAFRE are encouraged to apply for the exchange programme to enable them to experience study and life in America with the support of a generous financial bursary.

We wish Ashley a safe trip home and continued success with her studies back at MSU.

For information on courses offered at CAFRE click here.