CAFRE is committed to the principles of sustainability in all of it’s operations, across the three campus sites. We are a Member of the Environmental Association of University Colleges (EAUC). We recognise our responsibility to ensure environmentally and socially responsible practices in all our education and knowledge transfer activities.
To achieve this we aim to:
- Embed sustainability within the institutional culture: promote sustainable working and living practices and make sustainability core to our structures, governance, decision making and operational processes.
- Be recognised as an exemplar for best practice and innovation in sustainability.
- Protect the environment and minimise our environmental footprint: be more effective in our use of resources and make large reductions in use of natural resources, carbon emissions and waste production.
- Ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
Much good work has already been undertaken across CAFRE farms, production units and wider estate including:
- A reduction in carbon emissions through a combination of reduced energy use, land management practices and the adoption of several renewable energy technologies including solar power, wind energy and biomass heating systems.
- A reduction in water use and achievement of the Water Champions Award (Invest NI).
- The development of the Glenwherry Hill Regeneration Project which works in partnership with key stakeholders to develop habitats for grouse, breeding waders, hen harriers and merlin and to improve the condition of the upland habitats.
- Achievement of LEAF Marque. LEAF (Linking Environment and Farming) Marque is held by farm businesses which meet rigorous standards of sustainable farm practice. It delivers sustainable food and farming through Integrated Farm Management and covers nine key areas of sustainability across the farm. This holistic assessment ensures that CAFRE farms and production units are achieving the highest standards of environmental stewardship. In 2020 CAFRE completed their first virtual audit due to COVID-19 and was the thirteenth annual audit to successfully gain the LEAF Marque Accreditation.
- Achievement of BREEAM excellence accreditation at our recently constructed Food Innovation Centre.
- The sensitive development of the Enniskillen Campus farmed estate to develop unique agri-environment habitats.