Information for students
Important information for students
In order to minimise the spread of COVID–19 infection and to help protect students and staff, education courses commencing in September will be delivered differently and this will vary depending on the Campus and course you are undertaking. Full details will be provided by your Course Manager at induction. For further details see the COVID-19 Student Protocol
In order to fully participate in your course you will need to be able to access our Virtual Learning Environment, CAFRE Online. Details of the IT requirements needed to access CAFRE Online can be found at Computing requirements.
The purpose of social distancing is to:
- Increase the physical separation of individuals thereby helping to reduce the spread of COVID-19;
- Decrease the physical interaction between individuals thereby helping to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The approach to course delivery that is being put in place will ensure that CAFRE can follow the recommendations from the Public Health Agency in relation to social distancing. Classrooms at each campus have been reconfigured to allow for 2 metre social distancing.
Other measures which will be implemented at each Campus to help ensure that physical interaction is kept to a minimum include: –
- Remaining on-site – all students are encouraged to remain on-site during the teaching day wherever possible, to minimise unnecessary interactions with others;
- Timetabling – Staggered class start times, breaks and meal times will be in place to help reduce physical interactions on campus;
- Limiting lecturer/staff and/or student movement – individual classes will be allocated specific classrooms to minimise the movement of students around the campus during the day;
- Sanitising stations at classroom entrances and at key locations throughout each Campus;
- Signage providing information for students will be in place at each campus;
- Use of the dining rooms – Numbers using the dining rooms will be less than usual as staggered meal and break times are implemented and 2 metre social distancing maintained;
- Toilet facilities – restrictions will apply to limit the number of users at any one time.
CAFRE courses are highly practical in nature with parts of the curriculum delivered in laboratories and on the College farms, equine and horticulture units and specialist food facilities. It may not always be possible to maintain a social distance of 2 metres during delivery of this practical component of your course and additional mitigation measures to reduce the risk of COVID-19 will be put in place as appropriate, for example face coverings, face shields and protective goggles. The College will provide you with the appropriate PPE to mitigate the risk.
Watch our video on our practical measures in place on campus to help keep us all safe.
Track, Trace and Protect
The Department of Health has implemented a contact tracing programme called Test, Trace and Protect designed to control the spread of COVID-19.
You are encouraged to download the StopCOVID NI Mobile App onto your mobile device.
During course induction you will be provided with instructions on what you should do if:
- You have symptoms of COVID-19;
- You test positive for COVID-19;
- You live in a household with someone who has symptoms or, or has tested positive for, COVID-19;
- You have been advised by the PHA that you are a high risk contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19; and
- You test negative for COVID-19.
As a general rule if you exhibit any symptoms associated with COVID-19, or have been identified as a close contact of an individual with symptoms of or has received a positive test for COVID-19, you should not attend College until permitted to do so in accordance with the Test, Trace and Protect programme. You should inform your Course Manager that you are exhibiting symptoms, or have been identified as a close contact of an individual with COVID-19, at the earliest opportunity.
You should also inform your Course Manager of the outcome of any COVID-19 test you have had at the earliest opportunity. Further details will be provided by your Course Manager during induction.