Overview Telescopic material handlers are widely used within the agriculture and horticulture industry for moving materials and goods.
The Health & Safety commission has published an approved code of practice and guidance which sets out the “legal minimum” standard of basic training which people should receive before they are allowed to operate certain types of handler.
Who is the course for? This is a two, three or four day course, depending on experience, combining instruction and an assessment, for anyone who uses, or will be using a telescopic material handler.
- Identify the basic construction & components, and the purpose and use of all the controls and gauges.
- Identify & comply with the manufacturer’s instructions (handbook) and other information sources such as load charts.
- Carryout all pre-start and running checks.
- Configure the telescopic material handler for farm and road travel.
- Travel over different types of terrain with and without a load.
- Manoeuvre in confined areas using forward and reverse direction, both with and without a load.
- Set the handler up in order to lift various loads.
- Lift and place various loads within the full working range of the handler.
- Ensure load integrity and security.
- Place and retrieve loads accurately at various places.
- Place and retrieve loads from a vehicle bed or trailer.
- Keep within safe working parameters.
- Place the machine in an out of service condition.