Livestock Transportation – Short Journey (Horses)

Are you covered to transport horses?

From 5 January 2008, transporters or attendants who transport horses on the roads, on journeys over 40 miles and up to 8 hours, must hold a Certificate of Competence for short journeys. The qualification is required under legislation for anyone transporting horses in connection with economic or business activity. If you are transporting horses to compete as a professional then you are also required to hold a certificate.

The Regulation also requires anyone transporting animals on any journey to ensure that:

  • No one shall transport animals, or cause them to be transported, in a way likely to cause them injury or undue suffering.
  • Journey times are kept to a minimum.
  • The animals are fit to travel.
  • Those handling animals have been trained and are competent.
  • The vehicle and its loading and unloading facilities are designed, constructed and maintained to avoid injury and suffering and to ensure the safety of the animals.
  • Water, feed and opportunity to rest are made available to the animals as appropriate, and sufficient floor space and height is available in the transport.

Details of Assessment

The assessment takes the form of a multiple choice theory test which is taken online. Assessments are organised, subject to demand, at CAFRE’s three Campuses at Enniskillen, Loughry in Cookstown and Greenmount in Antrim.


One hour

This course offers training to the land-based sector in compliance with European rules on State Aid

Animal Transporter Authorisation

If you are intending to transport animals in connection with an economic activity for distances over 65 km and up to 8 hours, you will also need a valid Animal Transporter Authorisation from DAERA. Further information and an application form are available by clicking here.

You are required to possess a valid Certificate of Competence before you apply for Animal Transporter Authorisation.