This is a 1st4Sport accredited course – Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Horse Care and Management. The course will be delivered at Greenmount Campus on a Tuesday evening from 7.15pm until 9.30pm, over a twelve week period from 17th September until 10th December 2019.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at participants wanting to gain a recognised qualification in horse care and management without having to attend full-time college, for example private owners, small scale breeders, animal welfare officers, leisure riders and non-equine vet nurses are all potential participants. Some experience of caring for and managing horses required.
The qualification is composed of six units and during the qualification you will complete the following learning outcomes:
- Understand the principles of stable routines, including mucking out, grooming, selecting bedding and caring for a horse after exercise, and any associated health and safety procedures
- Understand the principles of basic horse health and welfare, including recognising signs of good health and ill health in a horse
- Understand the principles of training and preparing horses for work, covering training options and routine
- Understand the principles of transporting horses safely, including clothing, vehicles and safety precautions
- Understand the principles of employment rights and responsibilities in the land based industries
- Understand the principles of health and safety in the horse industry
Assessment is via a multiple choice test at the end of the course – no courses work.
The course fee is £70.
Additional course information
You are required to register for this course before it begins as places are limited. To register click on the ‘enrol for this course’ button.
Registration closes Monday 9th September 2019.