A well managed heather habitat is a very valuable resource to have on any farm as it provides a valuable grazing resource for both cattle and sheep. Heather moorland forms a distinctive component of the landscape and is a very important wildlife habitat.
Heather moorland can be kept in good condition by carefully controlling grazing. However, heather regeneration such as flailing or burning is often required when heather becomes over mature.
Who is course for?
Farmers/Landowners who wish to learn how to manage heather effectively.
Course to cover the following topics:
- The importance of managing heather;
- Eligibility of heather for Land Area Based Schemes;
- Heather management options within agri-environment schemes;
- Managing heather for red grouse;
- The issue of wild fires and their impact on our environment;
- Practical heather management demonstration including flailing and burning.
There is no fee for this course.