The aim of this Level 2 Certificate in Animal Nursing Assistant course is to equip individuals with the skills and knowledge required to support qualified veterinary staff and prepare them for careers as Animal Nursing Assistants in a veterinary practice.
The Animal Nursing Assistant course is delivered on a day-release basis over one academic year (September – May). Individuals must also be in a veterinary practice for a minimum of 21 hours per week for the duration of the course.
The course covers:
– Basic practical management and reception skills
– Companion & Exotic animal anatomy and physiology
– Maintenance of animal accommodation
– Principles of infection control
– The care of ill and injured animals within a veterinary practice
– The husbandry and welfare of domestic animals
Progression opportunities and career destinations
Those who successfully complete the Animal Nursing Assistant course may be able to progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing course.
Applicants at the time of entry to the course must: –
– Have at least two Grade Cs or three Grade Ds including English and Mathematics;
– Be at least 16 years or over;
– Be employed or on work placement for at least 21 hours/week in a veterinary practice for the duration of the course.
Applicants must arrange the location of their placement directly with the Veterinary practice in advance of applying for the course. Individuals will incur fees of £350 to cover registration and training.
All international qualifications presented for entry must be officially translated into English with a notorised stamp.
International qualifications not taught and assessed in English may be acceptable provided they are supported by proof of competence in the English Language by holding IELTS at a minimum score of 6.0 or recognised equivalent.
The name of this course may change in September 2021 which may result in minor changes to course content, assessment methods and fees. No change is expected to entry requirements, duration or progression opportunities.
How to apply
To apply for this course, complete the Level 2 Veterinary Nursing Application Form.