The Foundation Degree (FdSc) in Equine Management, validated by Ulster University, is unique within the island of Ireland. The course which has been developed in consultation with the equine industry to meet their needs, aims to produce motivated graduates with practical and managerial skills and the ability to make sound judgements in all aspects of managing an equine enterprise.
Students undertake core subjects and select optional subjects depending on their specialisation.
- Applied horse management practice
- Breeding and stud practices
- Equine facilities management
- Equine science
- Equine training techniques
- Practical feeding of horses
- Equitation (riding/competition preparation)
- Horse racing industry practices
- Equine business enterprise management
- Horse health and welfare
- Management of the equine athlete
- Work placement
- Breeding industry
- Sport horse training
Students have the opportunity, through an emphasis on ‘learning by doing,’ to acquire a wide range of practical equine skills, develop an understanding of the principles of good husbandry practices and gain valuable work experience within the industry.
Progression opportunities and career destinations
Students may have the opportunity to progress onto the second year of the BSc (Hons) in Equine Management or onto postgraduate studies. Career options include equine business owners/managers, technical advisers, sales representatives and a range of jobs in the service and related industries.