News > Study a Foundation Degree in Horticulture

CAFRE

Study a Foundation Degree in Horticulture

November 7, 2022

Deborah Grainger is studying for a Foundation Degree in Horticulture at CAFRE, Greenmount Campus, Antrim. 

“I am from County Antrim and have a keen interest in environmental sustainability.  As a young child, I got involved in growing fruit and vegetables in the garden.  However, I did not initially pursue a career in horticulture, although I continued to have a passion for it.  I worked in sales for a number of international companies. During lockdown I took a leap of faith and made a career change into horticulture.  I longed for a job that would give me satisfaction at the end of the working day.  So, being aware of the fantastic learning facilities at Greenmount Campus, it was an easy choice to make as to where to go to get my qualification,” commented Deborah.

“I was accepted on to the Level 2 Diploma course; this truly was the best decision I have ever made.  Every time I come to campus I have a big smile on my face. The campus is just magical.  I loved the applied practical sessions of the Level 2 course. We studied theory at the start of the week and then had the experience of applying what I learnt during practical sessions.  The class had a great mix of students making it dynamic and fun.  The staff were always there to answer any of my questions and made my learning easier with their different styles of teaching,” remarked Deborah.

“Completing the Level 2 course enhanced my horticultural knowledge and skills. With the confidence it gave me and my previous qualifications I decided to progress on to the Foundation Degree. The progression from the hands-on Level 2course to the academic modules of the Foundation Degree will help me become a more rounded horticultural professional.

I spent the summer break working on the grounds of Greenmount and absolutely loved it. Each aspect of the work was rewarding from planting summer bedding, vegetation management and grass cutting, I loved it all!” commented Deborah.

“Greenmount Campus is a wonderful campus to study at.  The horticultural facilities are superb, and I particularly enjoy the nature trail and the constructed wetlands areas, this comes from my love of sustainability. 

I am looking forward to the next two years of my Foundation Degree.  I plan to join the new Honours Degree in Horticulture when I complete my Foundation Degree on either a full-time or part-time basis. 
My qualification from CAFRE will open up so many opportunities. My career target is to manage somewhere like the Greenmount grounds when I graduate” commented Deborah.