News > Bakery delights for Vicki

CAFRE

Bakery delights for Vicki

March 4, 2022

Vicki Brown graduated from CAFRE, Loughry Campus in 2021, with a BSc (Hons) Degree in Food Technology and is working as a Bakery Technologist.

“During my time at secondary school, I realised that I preferred practical and ‘hands on’ subjects. Food has always been a huge part of my life. My mum has had her own bakery, ‘Sweet Sensations’ for over 30 years, so I basically grew up in a bakery! After my GCSEs, I applied to study at Loughry Campus on the National Diploma in Food Technology course.  I loved the campus and the facilities so much, I stayed on to complete a degree. 

Loughry Campus offers a welcoming environment to study in, and I made lots of friends whilst there. I think one of my proudest achievements, was completing the final year of my degree, in the middle of a pandemic!  My lecturers supported us throughout those months ensuring we were able to complete our studies successfully.

The facilities at Loughry are fantastic.  I thoroughly enjoyed all my practical classes, and it was also so useful to see new equipment that may benefit my mum’s business.  Loughry’s location was ideal for me as I could travel daily, and still be able to help mum in the bakery after lectures as well as look after my horses!

Since completing my studies, I now work full-time in the bakery.  We supply both retail and wholesale outlets. In December 2020 we opened ‘The Counter’ at our family home, where people can come and buy direct from us. I have been able to use so much of what I learned during my courses, within the bakery.  The technical knowledge I gained has meant I can help the business with labelling, allergen management and product development.  In the future we hope to grow the business and expand the bespoke cake decorating element to our business. 

Working in a close family business can be challenging at times, but it’s also so rewarding. You get great satisfaction when customers are happy with the products you produce. I have very happy memories of my time at Loughry. My mum is delighted I completed my studies there too!”

If you are interested in a career in the food industry join our Virtual Open Evening on Thursday 10th March at 8pm, live on Discover CAFRE Facebook.