September 24, 2014

Loughry Packaging Student Wins International Award

Aveen McCabe, Technical Representative for SAICA Pack, recently graduated with a Diploma in Packaging Technology from the College of Agriculture Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE), Loughry Campus. The Packaging Diploma is delivered at a number of centres throughout the world and Aveen was delighted when she won this year’s award for the Best Overall Student across all centres.

SAICA Pack, based in Warrenpoint, is an integrated corrugated packaging facility which produces high quality corrugated sheet board and cases to customers across the island of Ireland.

Aveen’s role is cross-functional working with production, quality, design and sales, on projects which range from giving technical advice and support to customers, implementing internal process improvements, light-weighting of materials and material testing.

Aveen commented that, “the main reason I decided to study on the Diploma was to gain a wider understanding of packaging processes, to increase my knowledge and to use that knowledge to improve the service that we, as a plant, provide for our customers.  I found that the Diploma has been very useful for this and it has also been a great opportunity for networking.  I am currently in the process of applying for Accredited Packaging Professional Status from the Packaging Society, which has been possible since completing the course.  I hope that this accreditation will give me recognition of my professionalism and benefit my career prospects.”

For further information on the packaging programmes available at Loughry Campus, please contact: Mary Ireland, Packaging Course Co-ordinator, Loughry Campus, CAFRE, Cookstown, Co. Tyrone BT8-09AA; Tel: 02886768217; E mail: mary.ireland@dardni.gov.uk

Aveen McCabe Packaging Graduate

Derek McDowell CAFRE congratulates Aveen McCabe, from SAICA Pack, on her graduation.

Packaging Graduates 2014 

Some of the 2014 Packaging Graduates being congratulated by CAFRE staff.

Back row: Ron Gardiner, (CAFRE), Oswald Ellis, Dollingstown and Tony Duffy (CAFRE). Front row: Sharlene Boyd, Belfast, Aveen McCabe, Warrenpoint, Jacqui Palmer, Lusk Co Dublin and Bernadette Greene, Waringstown.

Back to News & Events