Bursary Competition 2011
Bursary Competition 2011
Greenmount Campus - Bursary competition 2011
Financial support in the form of bursaries has been a tremendous catalyst to Greenmount students just commencing higher education. The moneys have assisted students in the payment of tuition fees, accommodation costs, and travel costs for example.
Bursaries of £1,000 are offered on a competitive basis to first year students on the Honours Degree in Agricultural Technology, the Foundation Degree in Agriculture and Rural Studies and the Foundation Degree in Horticulture.
The main criterion for the award of a bursary is the assessment of a report (approximately 1,500 words in length). Each company provides a title of their choice for a report and students select a title from an approved list. The candidates’ choice of title will link them with a particular organisation and each organisation will then select from these students the ultimate recipient of the bursary.
Candidates can compete for more than one bursary but can only be awarded one. CAFRE staff check that entries are of the required standard for the award of a bursary; however, the sponsor makes the final decision on the award of the bursary. In doing so, the bursary provider may wish to interview candidates. In the event of two or more candidates’ reports being judged to be of similar standard, applicants will be differentiated on the basis of a short interview with a bursary panel. This panel will include representatives from Greenmount Campus and the company providing the bursary.
Successful candidates receive an instalment of £500 at a reception during Semester 1 in December and the remaining £500 after the successful completion of Semester 1 exams in January 2012.
All reports must be submitted by Monday 17 October 2011
Instructions for completion of report
Choose a title from the approved list.
Maximum length of report – 1,500 words.
The report must be word-processed.
If appropriate, you may include photographs/illustrations with suitable captions.
Assessment of report
The assessors will award up to 80 percent of the marks for technical content, structure, and presentation. The remaining 20 percent will be awarded for grammar and evidence of additional research and reading.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
In addition to the report each student should send a short CV of not more than one A4 page in length. It should be word - processed, detailing hobbies and any relevant work experience or interests that the student may have.
Contact Dr Alice Robson @ 94426612 or email email@example.com
Bursary Providers and Report Titles 2011/2012
Can Farmers Learn from other Farmers?
Beef processors in Northern Ireland are experiencing a shortage of raw material due to a substantial decline in the suckler herd. How can the industry make up this shortfall.
Organic Food – What’s the Future?
Tyrone Farming Society has employed you as a marketing consultant and wish you to produce a plan on how to make Omagh Show “bigger and better” so that it is the greatest country show in Northern Ireland.
How can farmers/growers maintain profitability in an era of increasing input costs?
Why I’m choosing a career in the land – based sector?
New technologies are crucial for the success of the agricultural sector. Discuss.
How would you manage a 200 acre beef and sheep farm to optimise agricultural and environmental sustainability?
Food Crops versus Energy Crops – The Land Use Dilemma.
What skills and qualifications would you require to successfully manage a farm business and why?
Challenges and Opportunities facing the Northern Ireland Dairy Industry as we move towards the removal of milk quotas in 2015.
The role of the Northern Ireland Poultry Meat Sector in the Northern Ireland economy.
This bursary is only eligible for students studying on the Foundation Degree in Horticulture programme. The award does not require a report but is based on an application and interview. The application form for this scholarship is enclosed.
Why I want to study sports turf management.
(This bursary is only eligible for students studying on the Foundation Degree in Horticulture.)